Carers allowance enquiry

  • Posts: 1
    08/09/2015  06:21

    I'm thinking of changing my carer but the new expected carers husband works she doesn't claim any benefits would it affect his money ? currently my present carers ESA is affected

  • Posts: 229
    Edited by: Support - 08/09/2015 13:35

    Hi Tag1975

    Thanks for your question. From your message, I understand that you’re current carer is getting both Carer’s Allowance and ESA. You wish to change carers. Your new carer doesn’t claim any benefits and their husband works.

    Carer’s Allowance isn’t means-tested, which means it’s not affected by any savings or the amount of money you have coming in. It is however taxable and counts as income for tax credits and other means-tested benefits. ESA is a means-tested benefit, so it sounds like this benefit was reduced for your current carer because the Carer’s Allowance they were receiving counted as income. 

    If your new carer and their husband aren’t claiming any means-tested benefits or tax credits, their income shouldn’t be affected by claiming Carer’s Allowance. However, it’s a good idea to check with a benefits adviser to make sure. Your new carer should also check that they meet the qualifying conditions. There are a few conditions they need to meet, but the mains ones are that they must care for at least 35 hours a week and they can’t earn more than £110 net per week. 

    It would be a good idea for your new carer to contact a benefits adviser before they apply. The rules can be complex and a benefits adviser will be able to help with their application and find out if they are entitled to other benefits, such as Carers Premium.


    You can speak to a benefits adviser for free by calling Carers UK on 0808 808 7777. We also have more information about Carer’s Allowance on our website



    Marie Curie Helpline Advisor