Forgotten Password



Not Registered?



1 2
Password must contain:
  • At least 10 characters
  • One uppercase letter
  • One lowercase letter
  • One number
  • One special character
  • Do not use common words or phrase


Register Step12

  • Upload an image for your profile

    Or drag and drop file here

  • Paying for palliative care at home



    1 reply

    My friend is currently in hospital with diagnosed terminal cancer. He’s been told they are going to discharge him and all he’ll receive from the hospital is a commode and a walking frame. Any equipment, care  or home adaptations that are required he’ll have to fund. Surely this is wrong. Doesn’t he come under the remit of nhs continuing care. He lives on his own and can’t get upstairs.

    Is this normal discharge practice?

  • Delete Post?

  • David

    Hi Bobbie87


    Welcome to Marie Curie’s Online Community. We hope others will see your post and be able to share their own experiences with you too.


    We’re sorry to hear your friend’s diagnosis and all that he is going through. Typically, the discharge team within the hospital would cover a range of different elements regarding someone’s care. Including but not limited to, some equipment and liaising with care companies to help arrange care. However, it isn’t uncommon for some people to have to contribute to the cost of their social care as it can be classed as a means tested support. You can find out what can happen with a hospital discharge here:  Age UK also have some information around self-funding care that you may find it helpful to look at here:


    When someone is choosing to be cared for at home there is a lot of help that may be able to offer support for your friend. We have some information in regard to getting care and support here: 


    Continuing healthcare is based on a clinical need for some people with long-term complex health needs. If you feel your friend is eligible for CHC, he may wish to talk to the discharge team to ask for an assessment. You can read more about CHC assessments here:


    Home adaptations aren’t typically something that the hospital would cover. Sometimes, you can get some support with adaptations. You can find some information around that here:


    We hope this information is helpful for you and your friend. Please don’t hesitate to get back in touch if you have any more questions here or via our Support Line on 0800 090 2309.


    Take care and best wishes,

    Hannah - Support Line Officer 


  • Delete Post?